Love phrases and romantic words in Italian

One of our readers asked us if we could elaborate on the subject of romance. As Italian is considered by many the language of love, there is a wide spectrum of words and phrases you could use to say something nice to your loved one.

I’m going to sort these sentences in “increasing order of love”, so that you can avoid the risk to scare your first date with some impressive claim in Italian.

Mi piaci – I like you
This is a non-committing assertion. Over time you could raise it a little by saying: Mi piaci tanto – I like you a lot.

Ti aspetto – I’ll be waiting for you
Some variances of this phrase: Aspetto la tua chiamata – I’ll be waiting for you call; As we live in the Internet age: Aspetto il tuo email – I’ll be waiting for your email.

Non vedo l’ora di vederti – I look forward to see you
You can use this sentence for regular friends too. Or you can add this after Mi piaci or Ti aspetto.

Mi manchi – I miss you
A stronger variance: Mi manchi tanto – I miss you a lot

Ti mando un bacio – I’m sending you a kiss
Nice closing for an email or phone communication. Not to be said in person, as at that point, you can just kiss your loved one.

Ti voglio bene – I care for you
There is no precise translation in English for it. You could use it with a friend to express friendship love, or with somebody you love but you are not ready yet for the more intimate declaration I love you. Wildely used in Italy, it can be abbreviated in text messages as TVB.

Mi sto innamorando di te – I’m falling in love with you
Another variance is Mi sono innamorato di te (said by a male) or Mi sono innamorata di te (said by a female) and they both mean I (already) fell in love with you.

Ti amo – I love you
This is the intimate and romantic expression of love. You’ll not use it with a relative or friend. In that case it’s more appropriate: Ti voglio bene.

Vorrei fare l’amore con te – I’d like to make love with you
Enough said, this is action time!

Do you want to share your Italian love story? Use the comments below.
And if you are unsure how to pronounce some of these phrases, you can always use your iPod to deliver your message of love.

Vi voglio bene!!

Comments

1. Alessandra says

Tante grazie per questo favoloso blog! From yet another Italian living in the U.S. this is a great reminder of things Italian, especially since I live in southeastern coastal North Carolina.

2. Anonymous says

Italy Is The Place For Lovers

During my last visit to Italy, I took with me a copy of the romantic poetry book titled, "Romantic Phrases," by Patricia P. Berry. I wanted to use the book to express my warmth and love. Also, I thought it would be fun to use while learning to speak Italian. Needless to say, between the great intimate setting and playing a lovers game with the book "Romantic Phrases." (Everytime we came across the words I Love You we did the following: 1. We kissed. 2.We said I Love You in Italian. 3. We kissed again.) From this point on, I will always remember Italy as my magical spot for love. Get the book people and take a trip to Italy. Make those memories that you will always cherish.

3. Anonymous says

Ciao! I'm so happy I found this site on you-tube. I was an exchange student last summer in Italy. And I miss it so much, this website reminds me of some of the things there! Keep it going 🙂

Ashlynn O.

• Vitoria says

Aaaaaww that is way to sweet. I know the feeling. I dated an American Italian guy when I went to college, and he used to say the most romantic words in in Italian to me. Like ” mi amore” That is all he needed to say to have me hooked all day. I love italian culture and the passion they put into LOVE.

4. says

(The much anticipated love!) Most people experience this type of love many times in their life. It is when you see that person for the first time and he/she makes your knees go weak or gives you butterflies in your stomach.i.e. "Love at first sight”. Most people don’t even love the person they think they are in love with…they fall in love with the idea if being in love. This is more of a lustful kind of love, it wears off after a while and hopefully leads to…

5. Barb says

Grazie mille per questo testo, Paolo! Mi sembra che mi sto innamorando di questa bellissima lingua … e proprio che sono gia innamorata.