How to make an Italian coffee (video)

Our podcast fan Roberta D. asked us if we could cover the topic of making coffee at home. So my wife Francesca and I decided to create this short fun 1 min video that explains how you can use a Moka pot to make a real Italian espresso on your own. Enjoy!

– Can’t see the video? Watch it from YouTube
iPod version (MP4 – 5Mb)
Zune version (WMV – 4Mb)

P.S. If you like this video, please leave us a comment here or on YouTube. We love feedback!

Comments

1. Rossella says

Ho notato che Francesca non ha pressato il caffe' con il cucchiaio nel filtro, e' vero o e' solo che avete tralasciato il particolare? Non ho mai visto nessuno che non pressa!
    Rossella

2. says

My Microsoft co-worker Roberto reminds me that I should have included in the video a couple of extra useful information.
    – Don't put too much water otherwise it'll spill in the filter itself
    – There is no need to press the coffee, nor to put too much of it

Oh well, there is only so much I could squeeze in 60 seconds 🙂

3. says

Packing the coffee may not be required, but in my experience it improves the coffee. I usually tamp it down with a simple wooden tamper for a thicker extraction.

4. says

I love moka brewing but I can never get a nice crema on my coffee.. I've tried it on low and high heat. Which is proper? I never tamper with a moka either. Thanks

5. Rob says

Careful about tamping coffee in a moka pot: unlike a real espresso machine, a moka pot is not built to withstand any real pressure. As a matter of fact, moka pots have a pressure relief valve, calibrated to release pressure and avoid dangerous explosions. Even with a pressure relief valve, you want to be careful: if pressure starts to build, the valve will open and produce a jet of steam and overheated water that can travel significant distances. Be sure to always point the relief valve toward the back wall, never the room, to minimize damage.

As for crema, given the lack of pressure, there's no way to create real crema with a moka pot (crema is an oil emulsion, and part of the high-pressure espresso extraction process).

Bialetti, the biggest and best known moka pot maker in Italy, experimented with a reinforced moka pot vessel, and a weighted valve, to achieve a small amount of overpressure and create some crema. The product is called Brikka, and kinda-sorta works, albeit I'd be very careful in keeping the valve religiously clean.

6. says

Perfect. I learned how to and enjoyed making the coffee everyday when we visited a friend in Rome – the best coffee I've ever had. I just found a little moka pot at a yard sale and realized I'd forgotten the basics. Thanks for such a fun way to relearn.

7. Anonymous says

Thank you, nice to have another method for espresso… 🙂 I have such a fascination about brewing coffee from Briki, to espresso machine, so press etc.
    My son, who worked 2 years as a "professional" barista at the local $tarbucks store, I think will enjoy using this.
    Now he can once again put to use his knowledge…here at home….
    this time for,when we want to go "rustic"

Lindsey

8. says

Cari Paolo e Francesca complimenti per il vostro blog and per questo delizioso video. L'ho scoperto per caso su youtube e l'ho inserito nel mio post di oggi sul caffè, spero vi faccia piacere e vi porti dei meritati visitatori. Cari saluti
    Letizia

9. Anonymous says

Loved the video. I just returned from my first trip to Italy, while visiting a friend's home there his Mother mentioned a coffee maker she wanted me to buy, I think it was two pieces with some instrument for frothing milk, any idea what she could have meant? I would love to order it online if possible.

Thanks,

Denise

10. Antonio says

From the moment Paolo proudly struts into the scene, to the Hug shared over a successful moment..this video makes me proud of my Italian heritage! Thank You!